Thursday, September 25, 2014

Vision Boards: What I Aspire to Be


For my first image, I chose books. Reading has been a hobby of mine ever since I could pick up a book, but recently I've been neglecting it in favor of social media websites, social life and schoolwork. I really don't want to lose this hobby, and there are so many great books out there to read! So, I set a goal for myself to read more. Ways I could accomplish this is finding very good books and checking them out of the library, giving myself at least 30 minutes everyday to read, and trying to focus less on my computer and phone in order to give myself more time to read. 


This second image is a bass guitar. I already have bass lessons every Saturday, but my goal is to really commit and become successful with this instrument. I tried out guitar and I took classes, but I quit because I wasn't interested in the instrument anymore. I'm determined to play this instrument and learn as much as I can from it and eventually learn how to improvise using it. I might even get my own bass, with an amp and all, one day! But in order to do that, I need to persevere. So, I will stay after school at least once a week and use Mr. Stange's bass and practice the songs I know, and learn some new ones.


This third image is one of a drumset. I already have an electronic drumset at home for my brother and my father, but since the bass and the drums are so closely linked, I really want to learn how to play this instrument. I want to get a better sense of rhythm, since the bass and the drums have a conversation with each throughout the song. I think learning how the play the drums will improve my understanding of the bass, of the songs I perform in Band, and of music in general. Plus, it sounds really fun! But in order to do this, I will need to find some sort of online guide or class, since I'm already taking classes in bass. Maybe I can ask Mr. Stange to help with some rhythms I don't understand, since he knows a lot about drums and has taught many people before me. Along with learning this instrument, I will learn the base saxophone. It's just a cool instrument and will let me get into jazz band next year!  


This last one may be the most difficult. I had already stated how much I love reading, but I also love writing. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, and before that, I was probably making up stories in my head as well. In the last six months or so, I've stopped writing. I'm not sure what happened for me to get to this stage, but apparently I got Writer's Block and it has not lifted since. I still make up stories in my head, but I see them more like movies than of words. I'm concerned because I want to my skill level in writing to keep going up and it's not something I want to lose. So, I will try my best to write at least a little bit every single day. Maybe it's a diary or a blog entry, but I want to put the effort of putting words on a Microsoft Word document. 


No comments:

Post a Comment