Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"Book Mosaic" Artifact and Reflection


This quarter in Humanities Class, we had an assignment called Book Mosaic. In this, we were supposed to choose a Historical Fiction or award-winning book, read it, and then complete a project showing different aspects of the story, answering questions, and formed into a symbolic shape that was important to the story. Although many people choose a regular-sized poster and organized the information in a way that was symbolic, I wanted to do something different. I didn't want to clog up the poster with too much information, and I also wanted to use the shape of a book without creating just a regular sized book, which I knew other people would do.

So, I decided I'd take a poster and use different colored poster papers to make the image of the girl (Lesiel) holding a book, which would have all of the information. At first, the poster would seem simplistic and hold almost no information. Once you open the book, you'd realize that all of the answers and images were cleanly stored away. Unfortunately, because of the time frame, I ended up only making the book and presenting it like that.

The project did not turn out as great as I had hoped, but mainly because of my time limit. The week before, when the entire class was working on it in Humanities, I was sick and missed the valuable work time. That weekend as well, I felt too unfocused to get anything done efficiently. Because of this, I only had a couple of days to complete the written aspect of the project, organize my thoughts on what I wanted to do, create the physical poster (or book, in this case) and prepare for presenting to the class. I was in a hurry and didn't do it as well as I would've done if I had more time.  I felt as if the text was hastily written and the project was not completely accurate. Although I know I couldn't do anything about the situation, I know that if I could do it again, I'd spend a lot more time on it, and put more effort into it.

This experience caused me to be a risk-taker, because I knew this project wouldn't end up as well as I wanted it to, but I had to finish it and present it anyway. I had to sacrifice some aspects that could've made it better in order to complete it, and risk getting a lower grade in order to turn it in on time. I think I learned that sometimes you don't do your best on projects, and that's okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment